When Midwest Natural Gas was asked by the Indiana National Guard to extend natural gas service to a major urban training base they thought of USDI. The project called for a load study, routing, wetland delineation, pipeline and facility sizing, design, directional bore profiles, specifications, construction, inspection and finally creation of centimeter-grade as-builts. The project had tight time constraints due to the base’s decision to switch from coal to natural gas and a budget that could not be exceeded due to funding constraints. Approximately 5 miles of 4” steel and a mile of 6” PE were required a river crossing through Indiana rock, the directional bore of a tree farm and private ROW that included a golf course were just some of the challenges that needed to be overcome. USDI completed the job on a turnkey basis on time and at budget.
— David Osmon, Midwest Gas (812) 254-5087
Connected the existing Midwest Gas system to the Muscatatuk base northeast of North Vernon, IN.
Key pipeline stats
- TDW Hot tap at tie-in
- 4” diameter, epoxy-coated steel and 6” PE
- Pressure reduction & overpressure protection facilities
- Cathodic protection system: magnesium anodes
USDI Services Provided
- Route layout
- Pipeline, station and measurement design and fabrication
- Professional engineering – plans, specifications and material procurement
- Installation including welding and directional boring
- Pressure testing and commissioning
- As-built creation